Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Taming Pank



A hunters guilt in the world of warcraft.

Just getting used to this MM/BM dual spec stuff and so I am re-evaulating my needs being a solo player as far as my hunting companinon pet is concerned. A story for your enjoyment.

I tamed a cute cuddly polar bear a few weeks ago and then horrified... watched him eat his cub afterward. O__O. Yeah. So when I had to free him to get a shiny new glowing blue dog, I was quite worried about having to find another pet-friend to tank. Fact is, that was self induced guilt trip #1 because I just wanted to stable the dog anyway.

As a marksman hunter I mainly used my DPS kitty, Peek, whom I've had for 5 years. He used to be an all white cat, which I adored but sadly suffered a skin change after some random patch. (REAL FUNNY BLIZZ! D: ) I never really felt a need for another kind pet given my spec and playing conditions, especially a tank pet because my main objective was to kill kill kill and do it fast. I was high-end raiding mostly and doing dungeon runs to level. I was hardly questing or solo PVEing.

Anyway, I once trained a polar bear.. a long time ago - the first time I encountrered one. For whatever reasons I had to set him free. I don't like to use the term abandon because it makes my feel even more guilty. I was super excited when I found myself among the same polar bears a few days later because this time I had a plan of action.

Freeze trapped the bear, tamed him, and then scared beastie his cub away, put bear on passive, and then ran like the dickens!

Pank is now my new best friend when out questing in my BM spec. He can tank better than any warrior I know ;), plus he's under my command and is pro at keeping aggro/focus. I was able to go back and solo 4 elite mobs a level or two higher than me at the time without issue to complete quests with the aid of Pank's mad skills. Yup Yup.

I'm still wondering what happened to the baby cub, and feel bad for leaving him out in the cold. <---Pun - LOL.

The moral of the story, despite knowing that the block of pixels on my screen actually means NOTHING, and no I do not have some weird emotional attachement to the game, or the pets, and I am not some weird role-player, I am however - a girl, and human - so for some reason still feel slightly guilty for actions that I make in the game. It's hard to explain because it's not "real" emotions that I feel in tangible life, but for a split second it's as if my brain isn't aware that I am playing a video game and chooses to envoke feelings of guilt. ;)

I wonder if I am alone in this.

No comments: